Crawford County, Pennsylvania

Questions Answers


Questions & Answers

Question: How do I obtain a passport?

Answer: You will need to bring into the Prothonotary's office five items to obtain a passport.

  1. Your passport application
  2. Your certified birth certificate
  3. Two identical passport pictures
  4. A check or money order
  5. Your driver's license

NOTE: For more information about the above information, you may call the Prothonotary's office at (814) 333-7324 or click here to access the U.S. Department of State website and obtain more information on passports.

Question: When arbitration awards are satisfied, do they need to be notarized?

Answer: Yes, the awards need to be satisfied and have the notarized signatures. Send the form Praecipe for Satisfaction along with a check of $8.00.

Question: How can I change my name back to my maiden name and/or recieve a copy of my divorce papers?

Answer: To receive a certified copy of divorce decree or change a name to a former name you can...

  1. Call the Prothonotary Office to order the document(s).
  2. Write to the Prothonotary Office and request the document(s). Include your request and a check for the amount that is owed (see fees below).

The fees are as follows:

  1. Certified divorce decree - $4.75. If your divorce decree has an agreement attached, there is an additional fee of $4.75.
  2. Change of name to a former name - $8.00. You may download the form here.

NOTE: It is helpful if you know the names that are on the divorce decree along with the year the divorce was granted.

Question: What is the difference between a name change and a former name change?

Answer: The change to a former name is done after a divorce is entered and filed or after a divorce decree is issued. The fee is $8.00 and the form must be completed in the county where the divorce was filed. If you mail the form, it must be notarized before you send it into the Prothonotary's office. The official name change can be filed by an attorney. If you decide to do this yourself, the law library in the courthouse has information on the specifications and requirements needed for changing your name. There is a $100.00 fee for this service.

Question: How do I go about filing for a divorce?

Answer: Speaking with an attorney would be the best option since they are qualified for advice and issues you may not have considered before you go through this procedure.

Question: How to I go about applying for a marriage certificate?

Answer: You have to contact the Clerk of Courts office for this certificate. The only form(s) that you might need from the Prothonotary's office would be a certified copy of your divorce decree, if Crawford County is where you filed for divorce, and if you changed your name after a divorce, the forms are also available in our office.

Question: What is a Praecipe?

Answer: A writ commanding something to be done, or requiring a reason for neglecting it.

Question: How much time do I have to file a motion and where can I file for one?

Answer: Within 3 days of presentation is the allotted time when the notice of motions must be given to the other side. Only uncontested motions can be taken to court by the Prothonotary. Contested motions, when the other side does not agree to the granting of the motion, has to be presented by the person who gave 3 days notice to the other side. Uncontested motions will be heard first, then contested, and motions from the floor are last. Please bring proper paperwork and identification.

Question: What if I can not financially pay court fees?

Answer: You will need to fill out the In Forma Pauperis form. This form must be filled out in detail letting us know of your income and expenses. You may stop in at the Prothonotary's office to pick up the form or you may download and print it here.

Question: Can I obtain naturalization records in your office?

Answer: Yes, the records date back to the early 1800's and sometimes contain the ship's name, pictures and the petitioner's signature. You may stop into the Prothonotary's office and look up names of relatives and obtain more information about this service we provide.

Question: What is a filing?

Answer: It is a document that is brought into the Prothonotary's office that is added to a case or record. Once it is filed by our office, it officially becomes part of the the case or record and cannot be dropped.

Question: Who do I need to contact regarding PFA (Protection From Abuse) fees?

Answer: You would contact our office and set up a payment schedule. If, however, you are lax on your scheduled payment or do not pay the fees at all, a bench warrant will be issued and jail time may occur.

Question: What is a discontinuance?

Answer: At any time before a proceeding is entered for trial or its hearing is commenced in chambers, a plaintiff may discontinue the proceeding or withdraw any cause of action therein against any defendant.

Question: What is a satisfaction?

Answer: The discharge of an obligation by paying a party what is due to him or what is awarded to him, by the judgment of a court or otherwise.

Notice: The above information is meant to be for information purposes only. If you seek true legal advice, please contact an attorney, the staff in the Prothonotary's office or Law Library cannot provide legal advice.


The County of Crawford lies in northwestern Pennsylvania. Originally it was inhabited by the Iroquiois Indians and other tribes and nations. In later years, the land was acquired by a group of Dutch investors under title of the Holland Land Company and resold to settlers. The Commonwealth allocated land to its Revolutionary War soldiers as a bonus settlement. The county was formed in 1800 from a portion of Allegheny County and named after Colonel William Crawford, an early military hero and close friend of George Washington.


903 Diamond Park Meadville, PA 16335

Phone: (814) 333-7300
Toll free: 800-982-9019

Fax: (814) 337-0457

Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM

State of Pennsylvania